Light in Picture Books
Back to: Top |
Lists |Booktalks main
- ? Leave a Light On, Abby.
- ? Like Butter on Pancakes.
- Asch, Frank. Moon Bear books.
- Avi. The Bird, the Frog, and the Light : a fable.
(paintings by Matthew Henry. New York : Orchard Books, c1994. A
frog learns the truth about his self-importance when he meets a
bird whose simple song brings the sun's light to the world. ISBN
0531068080; 0531086585 (lib. bdg.))
- Bartone, ? Peppe the Lamplighter.
- Berger, Barbara. Grandfather Twilight. (New York :
Scholastic, c1984. Grandfather Twilight takes a pearl and carries
it each night to place as our moon in the sky. ISBN 0590450123)
- Berger, Barbara. When the Sun Rose. (New York :
Philomel Books, c1986. An imaginative little girl spends a happy
day with her playmate, who arrives with a pet lion. ISBN
- Brinckloe, Julie. Fireflies! (New York : Macmillan ;
c1985. A young boy is proud of having caught a jar full of
fireflies, which seems to him like owning a piece of moonlight,
but as the light begins to dim he realizes he must set the insects
free or they will die. ISBN 0027133109)
- Carle, Eric. The Very Lonely Firefly. (New York :
Philomel Books, 1995. A lonely firefly goes out into the night
searching for other fireflies. ISBN 0399227741)
- Cosgrove, ? Buttermilk. (A Serendipity Book)
- Coy, John. Night Driving.
- Crews, Donald. Light.
- Desimini, Lisa. My house. (New York : Holt, c1994.
Describes a house in different weather and light conditions. ISBN
- Dodd, Anne W. Footprints and Shadows. (illustrated by
Henri Sorensen. New York : Simon & Schuster Books for Young
Readers, c1992. Discusses where footprints and shadows go, as when
footprints in the snow melt away or shadows are dispelled by
light. ISBN 0671787160)
- Feder, ? Night Light.
- Fletcher, Ralph TWILIGHT COMES TWICE
- Fontenot, ? Star Seed. (Christmas story)
- Hurd, Thacher. Art Dog.
- Kreeger, ? Alaska ABC Book. (northern lights)
- Malone, ? By the Light of the Silvery Moon.
- Marzollo, Jean. Sun Song. (illustrated by Laura Regan.
New York, NY : HarperCollins, 1995. Animals and plants respond to
the sun's changing light over the course of a single day.
- Miles, Sally. Alfi and the Dark. (San Francisco :
Chronicle Books, 1988. On a night when he cannot fall asleep, Alfi
meets The Dark and learns where he goes when someone turns on a
light. ISBN 0877015279)
- Moorman, ? Light the Lights. (Christmas and Hanukkah)
- Moorman, Margaret. Light the Lights.
- Pilkey, Dav. The Paperboy.
- Raffi. One Light, One Sun.
- San Souci, Robert D. North Country Night.
- Singer, ? Power of Light. (Hanukkah stories)
- Van Allsburg, Chris. Bad Day at Riverbend.
- Van Allsburg, Chris. Polar Express.
- VerDorn, Bethea. Moon glows. (illustrated by Thomas
Graham. -- 1st ed. -- New York : Arcade Pub., c1990. Text and
pictures portray the moods of a moonlit night; from the kinds of
light that come from a city, airport, highway, backyard, bedroom,
and the country; to the animals who sleep beneath the lights of
the night. ISBN 1559700734)
- Waber, Bernard. A Firefly Named Torchy. (Boston,
Houghton Mifflin, 1970. A little firefly is unhappy because his
light is so bright all the plants and animals think it is daytime.
- Wood, Audrey & Don. The Napping House.
Webmaster | Last
Updated: August 4, 1998 | Copyright © 1996-1998 by
Dale Copps. Copyright © 1999 by Nancy J. Keane
Permission is granted for the noncommercial duplication and use of
this resource, provided it is substantially unchanged from its
present form and appropriate credit is given.