* ...If you travelled west
in a covered wagon
Back to: Top |
Lists | Booktalks
* A Different Kind of Hero
by Ann Blakeslee
* ADDIE ACROSS THE PRAIRIE
* AGAINST A CROOKED SKY (a
boy goes to search for his sister taken by Indians)
* BEHAVE YOURSELF BETHANY
* BEYOND THE DIVIDE (westward
* Bound for Oregon (VanLeeuwen)
* Bound for Oregon by Jan
* CHILDREN OF THE COVERED
WAGON (westward movement)
* Children of the Westward
Trail (an information-packed book with actual
* Children of the wild West
* Children of The Wild West.
Other books in this same series are excellent resources, too.
* CHRISTMAS MIRACLE OF JONATHAN
* Courage of Sarah Noble (Dalgliesh)
* Cowboys of the Wild West
by Russell Freedman
* Cowboys, Indians and Gunfighters
by Albert Marrin
* Daily Life in a Covered
Wagon is a "picture book" but has lots of photos and info, as well.
* Dakota Dugout, also a picture
book, but very poetic, about the loneliness
* Dandelions (Bunting)
* Dandelions, Eve Bunting.
* Danger along the Ohio
* Day in a covered wagon (Gibbons)
* Dear America Series titles
* Dear Levi Woodruff? It's
the story in letters of a boy going west with a wagon train to Oregon.
* Dear Levi, letters from
Overland trail (Woodruff)
* Dragon's Gate by Lawrence
* FORTUNE'S JOURNEY (1853
* Frontier Home by Raymond
* Golly Sisters Go West
* Grandma Essie's Covered
Wagon by David Williams
* Hugh Glass, Mountain Man
by Robert McClung
* I Have Heard of a Land by
Joyce Carol Thomas
* I'm sorry, Almira Ann (Henry
* Incident at Hawk's Hill
* Jimmy D., Sidewinder, and
* John Henry by Julius Lester
* Journey to Nowhere (Auch)
* KIRSTI (1800's immigration
and westward movement)
* Landmark Picture History
book of Westward Ho (like The Liberty Tree by Penner); same series of Random
House Landmark books, but in "picture book" format.
* Lantern in her Hand
* Life in a covered wagon--non-fiction
* LITTLE HOUSE series (1800's)
* MANDIE series (late 1800-early
* Mississippi Mud by Ann Turner
- Poems of pioneer children regarding trip from Kentucky to Oregon
* My Antonia
* My Great Aunt Arizona (Houston)
* My Prairie Year
* Next Spring an Oriol (whelan)
* OH, SUSANNAH (Texas 1800's)
* OLD YELLER
* Orphan Train Rider.
* ORPHAN TRAIN series (1800's)
* Prairie Songs (Pam Conrad).
* Rachel: Journal of a pioneer
* Sarah, Plain and Tall (Maclachlan)
* SARAH, PLAIN AND TALL (westward
* Save Queen of Sheba
* Save Queen of Sheba (Moeri)
* SAVE QUEEN OF SHEBA (westward
* STRAIGHT ALONG A CROOKED
ROAD (1851 Vermont to California)
* The Cabin Faced West (Fritz)
* The Eagle and the Raven,
James Michener, about Sam Houston and Santa Anna.
* The fields by Conrad Richter.
* The Iron Dragon Never Sleeps,
* THE JOURNEY HOME (1800's)
* The Oregon Trail by Leonard
* The Rough and Ready series
(Rough and Ready Homesteaders is one of them.)
* The town by Conrad Richter.
* The trees by Conrad Richter.
* TIDEWATER VALLEY (immigration
* Van Woerkem's Bound for
Oregon, Jean, (a novel) is based on a diary the author found when she worked
on her picture book
* Walking up a Rainbow
* Walking Up a Rainbow (Theodore
* Women's Diaries of the Westward
Journey by Carl Degler
| Last Updated: December 8, 2000| Copyright © 1999-
by Nancy J. Keane
Permission is granted for the noncommercial duplication
and use of this resource, provided it is substantially unchanged from its
present form and appropriate credit is given.