Girls Disguised as
Contributor's Form (list
Back to: Top |
Lists | Booktalks
- · BANDIT'S MOON by Sid Flesichman has an orphaned girl
dressing up as a boy to ride with the notorious California legend
Joaquin Murieta. She does dress as a girl when it benefits him,
but is one of the gang most of the time.
- · Caroline_ by Willo Davis Roberts , which concerns a
girl who runs away from home to follow her brothers to California
during the Gold Rush and falls in love with another member of the
- · Cue For Treason Geoffrey Trease (1941) In the novel
Kit dresses as a boy to escape an unwanted marriage and becomes a
theatrical apprentice on the Renaissance stage. Shakespeare picks
this "boy" himself to play Juliet in his new play. One of her
fellow apprentices discovers her secret and after assorted
adventures, including foiling an assassination attempt on Queen
Elizabeth, the two fall in love. If you think you hear echoes of
Shakespeare in Love in this one, you're right!
- · Cutting Loose, Mike Lewin's - a girl dresses as a
boy, then, as that boy she begins to fall in love with a man (he
doesn't sense her feelings). To get out of one pinch, she then
dresses up as a man dressing up as a girl -- with more twists and
turns after that. She and the man she starts to have a crush on do
not meet again until just after the end of the book, so we don't
know how he will take the final disclosure.
- · I'm Deborah Sampson by Patricia Clapp, and at least
one other book about Deborah Sampson, a real person who disguised
herself as a boy and fought and was wounded in the American
Revolution. What struck me most strongly in these books was the
extreme anger and outrage of the men when the person they'd
thought of as their buddy was discovered to be female.
- · In DRAGONSONG and DRAGONSINGER by Anne McCaffrey, the
girl whose name I can't remember is mistaken for a boy several
times, but doesn't consciously dress like one.
- · Lena_ by Jacqueline Woodson.
- · Mulan story - nice version of which was done recently
by Robert San Souci (and was the source material for the Disney
- · Riding Freedom by Pam Ryan is one where a girl dresses
like a boy to be a stable hand.
- · Seven daughters & seven sons, Barbara Cohen
- · Song of the lioness series, Tamora Pierce
- · The Black Arrow, Robert Louis Stevenson
- · The Folk Keeper, Franny Billingsley's new book, the
narrator is a girl disguised as a boy.
- · THE GENTLEMAN OUTLAW AND ME ELI by Mary Downing Hahn
also has a young girl dressing as a boy to make her way across the
- · The Last Silk Dress Ann Rinaldi - the main character,
Susan Dobson Chilmark, dresses as a boy to roam the streets in
Richmond, Virginia, during the Civil War. Richmond is the capitol
of the Confederacy so the book's setting is during turbulent
- · The Root Cellar, Janet Lunn (1981), a past-time
fantasy, Rose Larkin travels back in time to the 1860s and meets
Susan and Will, both of whom assume she is a boy at first. Later,
Rose does dress as a boy of the period, when she and Susan travel
to find and rescue Will, who has gone off to fight in the American
Civil War. Rose does find she loves Will, but his time is not her
time, and she must return to the present.
- · THE WOMAN WHO RIDES LIKE A MAN by Tamora Pierce, isn't
Alanna dressed as a boy?
- · Yentl the Yeshiva Boy"? Isaac Bashevis Singer
Webmaster | Last
Updated: October 18, 1999 |
1999 by Nancy J. Keane
Permission is granted for the noncommercial duplication and use of
this resource, provided it is substantially unchanged from its
present form and appropriate credit is given.